Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Making decisions guided by HOPE



On Dropping Knowledge, there was a question I came across pertaining to hope and fear. It got me thinking that we let fear guide our choices too much. Hope exists in almost all, or perhaps even all, of the big decisions we have to make. Does it not? The problem is that hope often comes with big risks and sacrifices, and it’s often overshadowed by the amount of fear we have that something wrong or bad is going to happen, or that people are going to look at us in an awful way.

So what do we do? We take the less risky choice; we don’t pursue the choice that involves hope. Fear tends to rule our life, and as a result, a lot of people are unhappy and dissatisfied with their jobs, relationships, etc.

But what if we CONSCIOUSLY made our decisions guided by hope rather than fear? What do you think the outcome would be?

Now, I’m not naïve enough to think that making choices based on hope will undoubtedly lead you to happiness. In fact, my theory is that it will cause a lot more problems...initially. But in the long run, will you be happier? I think so.

So I challenge you to make choices guided by HOPE. Let’s test this theory out. You know how we all have those nagging choices that linger in the back of our head? It could be that dream, that goal, that lifestyle change, or that person you’ve always admired from afar.

It could be anything, any decision you have to make, big or small. Let hope guide your choice and see what happens. Start small—that’s okay to do. Need to decide what to eat for lunch? Let hope steer you. Try it out for even just a day, if you want. I know it’s a gutsy thing to do, but just try it. I will do the same.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a great writer, MK! You can express your thoughts very well. I envy the way you can describe your innermost thoughts and feelings. Much kudos! Wish I could do the same. I keep getting writer's block or whatever you want to call it whenever I try to put my thoughts on paper or online.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep that in mind. I've been wanting to keep a blog or an online journal for the longest time, but afraid to start it. I am afraid that I might say too much once I start talking about life's ups and downs. Heheheh..:)

Andy D said...

Just saw you on Expose Your Blog and thought I would stop by. I like your blog, and you have some interesting points. I don't know of a situation where I ignored hope, but I am going to pay more attention. Who knows, you may have caused me to change something...


Good luck!

MyBeautifulMalcontent said...

Jason, okay, yeah, I remember you. Nice to see you here too. :)

MyBeautifulMalcontent said...

Hi Andy, thanks for stopping by. I think it starts with paying attention, as you said, to the kinds of choices you make. I know I'm not always consciously aware of WHY I make certain choices, but I'd like to start paying more attention to it. We'll see how this fares down the road. Let me know how it goes with you too! :)

Jackie said...

Thanks for visit. You have a great blog and when I am not so busy I will pop back and read more of your posts.

Do you belong to Networked Blogs at Facebook as I see you do have a Facebook link? C u at EYB.

MyBeautifulMalcontent said...

Hi Jackie,

I just got the Networked Blog ap for my facebook page today. Not sure yet how it works though.