Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cultural Tidbits About Japan

While on vacation in Japan back in June, my husband and I observed some interesting cultural tidbits learned through observation and plenty of trial and error! It was funny because we're Asians and blended in well with the Japanese, so I think many people assumed we were Japanese and expected us to know the particular social norms, behavior, and mannerisms of Japan. But of course, being from the U.S., we didn't know and therefore garnered at times some interesting stares from onlookers. It didn't take long for people to figure out we weren't Japanese though, and honestly, it was part of the fun of exploring the country and culture. :)

Anyway, while in Japan I started jotting down in my iPhone Notes some of these cultural tidbits and differences about the Japanese culture.

- You're not supposed to eat while walking. There were times when we stopped at street stalls to buy food or ice cream and would just continue on our merry way, eating and walking at the same time. It took a few times before we finally noticed that we were the only ones walking around with food in our mouth! Everyone else would buy the food, then just stand right there by the street stall to consume the food and finish it before continuing on their way. No wonder we got a couple weird stares at the bamboo grove in Kyoto when we were eating ice cream while strolling through! 

- When paying for items at a store, always put the money in the little tray by the cash register. Never hand the money directly to the cashier as it's seen as impolite. Thank goodness it was my husband and not me who made our first Japan purchase and had to be taught this!

- At some stores, you have to take your shoes off before entering the fitting room, just as you would in a Japanese home.

- You bag your own groceries. There are no baggers.

- Vending machines are everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Also, they sell everything in vending machines. Literally.

- Japan, despite being known as very technologically advanced, is still largely a cash based system. A lot of places don't take credit cards, so you always have to make sure to have cash on hand.

- A lot of public bathrooms don't have paper towels, and some don't have toilet paper or handsoap! Oh my gosh, this worried me a lot, so I would always make sure to carry those items with me.

- Speaking of bathrooms, some places only have squat toilets. I never got used to those. However, in the larger cities and the places that catered to tourists, there were often spiffy toilets with all the cool perks, such as seat warmer and the bidet with the nozzle that squirts water at your nether regions. Also, a lot of the bathrooms in our hotel rooms had a landline phone next to the toilet.

- Bathtubs in Japan are also taller than the ones in America. Being short, I had to lift my legs up quite a ways to get in and out of the tub (at least it felt like it). A lot of the bathroom mirrors in our rooms also had an anti-fogging area that doesn't fog up when you shower.

- When eating at a Japanese restaurant, put everything back the way it came--lids back on the bowls, etc. Chopsticks are also never placed directly on the table. Rest it on your plate instead.

- Cups, glasses, and mugs are really tiny. Over there, I could literally drink a cup of water in a couple gulps. That's how tiny the cups are! I felt like I could never get enough water in one sitting. Also, most places automatically serve tea instead of water.

- Nobody really talks or plays on their phone while dining. I think it's seen as disrespectful.

- Food is super fresh and less processed. Yumm, I miss that about Japan! After awhile, our stomach got used to eating fresh, healthy food. Our first American fast food meal after our stay in Japan actually made our stomach queasy and our body had to adjust to processed food again. It's no wonder there are very few overweight people in Japan!

- No tipping for any services. That was nice.

- People in Japan talk in low, quiet voices. It's quiet just about everywhere you go... on trains, in stores, on the streets. Of course, the big cities were louder but still relatively quiet compared to here in the U.S.

- When riding the escalator, everyone stands on the left side. The right side is for people who are in a huge rush and want to RUN up the escalator. We didn't figure this out until the very end of our trip! Oh, all the times that I stood on the right side and blocked those people who were rushing! lol

- There are bike parking lots that are sometimes bigger than car parking lots. People ride bikes and walk everywhere. They are a walking society. Again, no wonder there are few overweight people!

That's all I can think of at the moment. I've been meaning to post on here pictures of my Japan trip too, so sometime in the near future, I'll do so.


No comments: